Treatment for shingles
Treatment for shingles is important because, in most cases, shingles rash is associated with unbearable pain. Treatment for herpes zoster is divided into two primary methods. These are the natural treatment of shingles and allopathic, traditional methods. If asked which the better cure is, nobody can argue that the early stages using natural remedies for shingles are the most effective treatments for shingles since the natural method helps to remove the root of the virus, which leads to eliminating the early signs of a breakout.
What you need to know about herpes zoster.
Shingles are medically known as herpes zoster. It is considered related to chickenpox because people who have had chickenpox have a higher risk of later developing a shingle symptom. This is because people who have experienced chickenpox never completely get rid of the virus. The chickenpox virus, varicella-zoster, stays in the body in a dormant state. The elderly and those who are immune-compromised usually suffer from shingles symptoms, not children or young adults.
In old people, shingles may eventually lead to neuralgia. This is characterized by chronic pain that can go on for many years. It is usually caused by swollen nerve endings that result in sensations of pain in the soft tissues.
Also, note that shingles are a viral disease caused by the varicella virus. Because of the contagious nature of this disease, it is necessary for people infected to seek immediate treatment for shingles as soon as early symptoms surface. If you begin treatment for Shingles early, the chances of fast recovery are higher. However, keep in mind that even at the time of recovery, people who underwent treatments for herpes zoster or shingles need to continuously apply cures since shingles are a disease that has a very high recurring capability.
In this article, we’ll discuss the nature of herpes zoster and its symptoms, and we’ll find out when shingles are contagious and how to avoid this viral infection.
Shingles symptoms are the same as those of the chickenpox virus. These symptoms can be;
- The temperature of 38 degrees Celcius or higher,
- Pains in the muscles,
- Possible pins and needles sensation in the areas affected,
- Feeling generally unwell.
If you are suffering from the shingles virus, you can take precautionary measures to prevent the passing of chickenpox to those who have not previously had it. These precautionary measures are only essential, but they have the potential to succeed in isolating the outbreak.
- Avoid social interaction,
- Do not share any washcloths or towels,
- Avoid swimming, especially in a public pool,
- Avoid sports where physical contact is necessary.
If a person who has shingles shares a bed with someone who has never had chickenpox, the other person will likely develop chickenpox. You should keep interaction at a minimum, even sexual contact.
Shingle spots are like blisters; the shingle virus is contagious when moist. Although direct physical contact would be necessary when the blisters are dry and scabby, they are no longer contagious and safe for social interaction. Also, physical contact at that stage is safe.
It is common to feel slight pain or shingles rash in some areas of the body; this usually happens up to 5 days before breaking out in spots. If you already have shingles spots or blisters in one area and are getting pain in another area, pinpoint the next affected area where spots will appear.
When shingles contagious
While you get treatment for herpes zoster and the skin eruptions still scab over, you are contagious and may spread the infection. That’s why during this period, you should dodge bodily interaction with people who haven’t yet been infected and thus don’t have chickenpox’s antibodies or weren’t vaccinated against chickenpox. Make sure you aren’t contacting individuals who, for whatever reason, don’t have a healthy immune system. Also, avoid contact with pregnant women and newborn babies.
Causes of shingles
The virus Varicella zoster is the causative factor of shingles. Other important causes are
- The body’s immunity system is weakened, especially in the elders.
- Certain medications
Natural treatment for shingles
An outbreak of shingles is a very painful condition to handle. Doctors cannot even offer a permanent shingles cure because all the prescribed medications can only treat the symptoms and not eliminate the virus from the body entirely. If you suffer from this problem, you will have to deal with it repeatedly because outbreaks will keep occurring. It is not advisable to keep taking the antiviral medication and corticosteroids that doctors will prescribe you because they have long-term adverse side effects. What you, therefore, need is a natural treatment of shingles that will be easy on your pocket as well as on your overall health.
You will be surprised to know that natural treatments for shingles are highly effective and successful at reducing the intensity of each attack and lengthening the duration of each painful episode.
Listed below is a natural treatment for shingles:
Home remedies for shingles – most common natural treatment of shingles
When we think about natural remedies for shingles, most of us think that home remedies for shingles are not an option. However, there are some things that you can do from the comfort of your own home to help with pain and healing.
Listed below are home remedies for shingles
- Witch hazel is one of the most effective natural remedies for shingles and one of the most effective home remedies for shingles because it helps to reduce inflammation and itching. Buying witch hazel in different forms, most commonly witch hazel cream or water, is possible. People can apply witch hazel topically to areas of irritation and inflammation for relief.
- Taking cool baths or showers is a home remedy for shingles that helps keep wounds and blisters clean and reduce the risk of infection. Coldwater also relieves sore spots and itching and prevents scratches that can lead to scars.
- This staple breakfast food is known for reducing skin irritation caused by Shingles. Oatmeal is one of the most effective treatments for shingles. It works by combining it with water and applying it directly to the areas with lesions. The pasty solution reduces the burning sensation felt by the patients. With the texture of pasty oatmeal, a shingles patient does not feel inclined to scratch the lesions, which reduces the risk of skin infection.
- Researchers have found that Gentiana Scabra, a blue or purple flower across North America, benefits the pain associated with shingles and decreases the likelihood of post-therapeutic neuralgia. Gentiana Scabra is a home remedy for shingles that helps reduce skin inflammation, minimizes pain, and promotes healing.
- Smoking offers no health benefits and is always harmful. It is important to stop smoking as it increases your risk of many cancers and diseases. Smoking decreases immunity to infection, especially in the elderly, and can delay recovery and healing.
- Meditation to relax and try to rest when possible can help reduce symptoms of shingles.
Homeopathic treatment for shingles – #1 natural treatment for shingles
Homeopathic treatment for shingles is the best choice for relieving pain and itching after herpetic neuralgia. Homeopathic treatment for shingles works in gentle but effective ways to reduce the severity of symptoms and clear the infection instead of suppressing it. These medicines have no side effects and are very effective in post-therapeutic neuralgia.
The main goal of homeopathic treatment for shingles (herpes zoster) is to improve the body’s natural defense mechanisms or “immunity” to prevent the reactivation of the chickenpox virus. Therefore, homeopathic treatment of shingles (herpes zoster) also plays an excellent role as a preventive agent.
Here is the list of homeopathic remedies for shingles
- This homeopathic remedy for shingles is used when swelling and tingling (like needle and thread) better in cold and worse in heat. The rash is light pink, swollen, and itchy, producing a sharp pain that is better with cold compresses and worse with heat.
- Arsenicum album is a homeopathy for shingles used when burning lesions are relieved by heat and worsen at night, which causes excellent restless anxiety. Affects the lips, face, and between the two areas of the ribs. Rashes with an intense burning sensation in the bladder. It gets worse after midnight (around 1 a.m.) and worse from the cold in some form. Better by heat. Very thirsty and very quickly exhausted. Herpetic rashes alternate with internal problems.
- This homeopathic remedy for shingles is used when the rash on the right side of the abdomen and under the right arm is worse. Abdominal or pancreatic problems often accompany shingles.
- Calcarea carbonica is a homeopathy for shingles used on wounds that are accompanied by burning and jerky pain, worse in cold weather and at night—thick corrosive crusts with yellow pus underneath. Suppressed herpes causes disorders of the central nervous system. Pale, often obese, weak, shy, and quickly tired when walking. Lax muscles that sweat easily and catch a cold easily. The curvature of the bones, especially the spine and long bones. The ends are twisted or deformed, irregularly developed bones. The head sweats profusely during sleep, especially the head and neck, which have a sour odor.
- Herpetic rashes on the shoulders, neck, nipples, chin, or face. An itchy, burning pain is worse outdoors and better in wet weather and walking—a weak person with an excessively yellow and pale complexion, prone to respiratory and urinary tract infections.
- This remedy relieves shingles pain, characterized by burning red blisters that worsen at night and with cold water. Urinary tract discomfort can occur during a shingles attack.
- Mezereum is a homeopathy for shingles used for severe pain when the skin is burning itchy, or when the person is middle-aged or older. Long-lasting neuralgic pain pushes the nerve along the skin. Post-therapeutic neuralgia and burning sensation with the great coldness of the body. Displayed for a shingles rash where the blisters are oozing, bright red, and made worse by hot applications. The rash is often accompanied by terrible itchiness, which is made worse by using cool compresses. Eczema and itchy rashes may occur after vaccination.
Acupuncture for shingles – ancient Chinese natural treatment of shingles
Acupuncture for shingles speeds up the resolution of the rash and reduces pain and itching. In Chinese medicine, shingles are associated with toxic heat, internal wind, and moisture that is in the body. Acupuncture for shingles corrects these imbalances and helps restore the health of the body. While it successfully treats shingles at any stage, it is most successful in the early stages when symptoms first appear.
Acupuncture for shingles also helps relieve pain, reduces the need for pain medication, speeds healing of herpes zoster lesions, and reduces the incidence of post-therapeutic neuralgia (PHN).
Acupuncture works in the three stages of shingles:
- Natural treatment for shingles at this stage controls the progression of the disease, resolves the rash, relieves pain, prevents new lesions from forming, and strengthens the immune system (defensive qi). At this point, it is best to have a treatment plan that will allow the patient to come more frequently to reduce the duration and intensity of symptoms.
- Natural treatment for shingles at this stage focuses on treating underlying medical conditions or constitutional imbalances. This will help prevent the disease from progressing and turning into post-therapeutic neuralgia (PSS) while promoting blood circulation and preventing residual pain.
- At this stage of shingles, stopping and reversing the pain from post-therapeutic neuralgia is a slower process. But even at this advanced stage, acupuncture helps calm the nerves and promote nerve regeneration and sleep.
Herbs for shingles – traditional oriental natural treatment for shingles
Herbs for shingles are used as a natural treatment for shingles. Among the most effective herbs for shingles are Lemon Balm, Red pepper, licorice, and St. John’s Wort.
- Lemon balm is particularly effective in treating herpes viruses, such as the virus that causes this condition. Use its leaves to make tea and apply the concoction on the rashes twice daily.
- Red pepper has a natural component called capsaicin, which can relieve the pain caused by this condition. On the other hand, licorice has natural antiviral and immune-boosting components that can chase away the virus. St. John’s wort is an herb for shingles that can rebuild the body’s nerves.
- This natural remedy for shingles helps minimize the pain, which is the usual complaint of people infected with shingles. These herbs for shingles can be applied by directly rubbing the most affected area. Cayenne pepper is known for its cooling components that will provide immediate relief from the itchiness in the shingles lesions among patients.
- St John’s wort oil applied topically can relieve pain, even when it is severe and hard to shift, as it has anti-viral and healing properties.
Note: Going all-natural is better since it will not harm your body with artificial components. However, natural remedies for herpes must be recommended by a medical professional MD or DO trained in naturopathic medicine.
Natural treatment for shingles is effective, safe, and affordable. It is necessary to take care of shingles because of the severe pain they may cause. It is very important that even if you choose a natural approach to shingles treatment, you contact a medical doctor trained in naturopathic and holistic medicine. Don’t treat yourself.