Remedies for sore throat
Remedies for sore throat are popular and widely used. This is because sore throat is a very common medical condition, especially in the wintertime. Natural Remedies for sore throat are most demanded since the majority of people don’t want to use antibiotics and steroids. Home remedies for sore throat are well known and many people use them without even asking a physician’s advice. However, if your sore throat condition becomes chronic and happens every 2-4 weeks during the flu season it’s time to get professional help from your naturopathic doctor. With the right treatment approach, a holistic doctor will cure your chronic pharyngitis and you will forget about this problem
Sore throat, also known as pharyngitis, is inflammation or redness of the tissues, sometimes with yellowish/white pus on the tonsils. It is a common problem that each one of us faces in our lifetime. Sore throats are mainly caused by bacteria or viruses, affecting mostly children and young adults. A sore throat can continue for more than 48 hours. Sore throats can also be caused by allergic reactions or allergies and tobacco smoke.
A sore throat may be caused by a viral or bacterial infection. Viral infections, such as the common cold, flu, and mononucleosis, are more common. Bacterial infections include strep, mycoplasma, and Hemophilus-conditions which are considerably more serious than viral infections. However, bacterial infections respond well to antibiotics, whereas viral infections don’t. If your sore throat is caused by a viral infection, as is the case for most people, we’ve compiled a comprehensive list of natural Remedies for sore throat. Explore the list and perhaps you’ll come across your best remedies for a sore throat-a remedy that always works for you.
The Remedies for sore throat are more than stocking your medicine cabinet with over-the-counter remedies that temporarily soothe the pain. There are other easy, affordable at-home Remedies for sore throat that people of all ages can use to relieve sore throat using ingredients you likely already have in your pantry.
Various Remedies for sore throat can be used at home to help soothe sore throat pain and other symptoms. Some of these may be familiar, like drinking warm liquids with honey and lemon juice or gargling with salt water, and you may find some new ones too, such as slippery elm leaves and sage.
Symptoms of pharyngitis
Symptoms of sore throat can vary depending on the cause. Listed below are symptoms of sore throat:
- It may hurt more when you swallow or speak. Your throat or tonsils may also appear red.
Sometimes white spots or areas of pus form on the tonsils. These white spots are more common in strep throat than a sore throat caused by a virus.
Causes of pharyngitis
Sore throats mainly occur due to the effects of climate change or from eating the wrong type of food. People who are allergic to a certain type of food also have a sore throat if they accidentally eat them. Sore throats are mostly the result of a cold or seasonal flu. The throat becomes inflamed from a viral or bacterial infection that causes excessive pain.
The underlying causes of a sore throat are:
- Viruses and bacterial infections like the common cold.
- Tonsillitis, flu, sinusitis, measles, diphtheria, mumps, etc. diseases.
- Leukemia in rare cases.
Natural treatment for sore throat
There is much Natural treatment for sore throat which can be found even just inside our own homes. You may have not known but your kitchen is a storehouse of natural remedies. These natural Remedies for sore throat have been proven to immediately relieve pain and infection and offer temporary relief.
Listed below are the most common Natural Remedies for sore throat
Home Remedies for sore throat
There are many home Remedies for sore throat that are effective, and the simplest is often the most effective. Many sore throat remedies take only an hour to be effective, but some can take effect overnight. If you’ve tried a home remedy for sore throat and your symptoms persist, see your doctor immediately.
Listed below are home Remedies for sore throat
- Raw garlic is one of the most powerful and effective natural Remedies for sore throat. Whenever possible buy it fresh and eat it raw. Cooking kills most of the beneficial effects of garlic. The enzymes that are destroyed during cooking are necessary for our bodies to properly absorb the benefits of garlic. Raw garlic is a sore throat remedy that can be added to green smoothies (with fruits) or simply to a homemade olive oil dressing. It is also one of the best home Remedies for sore throat. When chopped, garlic releases allicin, an organosulfur compound with antibacterial, antifungal, and antiviral properties. You can chew and suck on a raw garlic clove for 15 minutes, this is also effective to relieve sore throat pain.
- Honey, mixed in tea or taken on its own, is a common home remedy for sore throat and cough. One study found that honey was even more effective at taming a night cough than traditional cough suppressants. Other research shows that honey is an effective wound healer, which means it can speed healing from sore throats.
- Traditional soups can be harsh for a sore throat, but warm (not hot) broth can soothe the throat and go down easily.
- These home Remedies for sore throat stimulate the production of saliva that covers the throat and keeps it moist and soothes a sore throat on contact.
- Some natural oils such as nutmeg, bergamot, and cypress contain camphene, which has a cooling and cooling effect.
- Gargling with warm salt water is one of the sore throat remedies that can help relieve sore throat and break down the secretions. Saltwater is also known to kill bacteria in the throat. Prepare a saltwater solution with half a teaspoon of salt in a tall glass of lukewarm water. Gargle to reduce puffiness and keep your throat clean. This should be done about every three hours.
- Although saltwater gargle is more commonly used, baking soda mixed with salt water is a home remedy for a sore throat and cough that can help relieve pain associated with a sore throat. Gargling this solution can kill bacteria and prevent yeast and fungus from growing.
Other home treatments for a sore throat include:
- Cool your throat down by eating a cold treat like Popsicle or ice cream.
- Suck on a piece of candy or lozenge.
- Turn on a cool-mist humidifier to add moisture to the air.
- Rest your voice until your throat feels better.
Homeopathic Remedies for sore throat
Homeopathic Remedies for sore throat are falling into a category of natural remedies for sore throat that focuses on rooting out the disease from within, instead of just concentrating on suppressing the symptoms.
Listed below are homeopathic remedies for sore throat that are effective and cause no side effects:
- Belladonna is the best homeopathic remedy for sore throat. Belladonna is also good for tonsillitis (swollen and red tonsils with white spots on the inside of the throat) and difficulties in swallowing.
- If you feel like your throat is flashing accompanied by pain, this homeopathic remedy for sore throat can be of great benefit in treating the symptoms.
- Difficulty swallowing liquids with a sore throat is best treated with Lachesis. This homeopathic remedy for sore throat also treats chronic tonsillitis.
- If you feel like you have a lump in your throat and cannot eat because of it, Ignatia can work effectively and fast.
- This homeopathic remedy for sore throat commonly used to treat dry coughs associated with a sore throat.
- Spasmodic, dry cough accompanied by a sore throat is best treated with Drosera.
- Red, swollen, and throat infections are treated with this homeopathy remedy for sore throat. Throat problems that are getting worse with climate change can be treated with this medicine.
- If your cold is also causing a sore throat, then you can go for the Arsenicum album. This natural remedy for sore throat is also helpful if you have a thin, watery runny nose.
- Burns and painful sore throats caused by cold temperature and wind and are well treated with Aconite.
- Sometimes your throat can get sore from shouting or if you talk loudly at a stretch. In such a situation, Causticum can prove to be beneficial.
- If your throat is sore and you feel harsh and worse after straining your voice, Argentum Metallicum can act as a homeopathic remedy for sore throat.
- Chamomile is mainly prescribed to children with a sore throat and mucus build-up in the chest.
- Enlarged tonsils, painful sore throats, and sore throats in children are best treated with Baryta Carbonica.
Herbs for sore throat – very popular remedies for sore throat
Some herbs soothe the pain and irritation caused by a sore throat.
Listed below are herbs for sore throat:
- Marshmallow root is a perennial herb for sore throat. The mucus-like substance of marshmallow root makes it a useful natural remedy for sore throat. You can add some dried roots to a cup of boiling water to make tea. Consuming the tea 2-3 times a day helps ease throat pain.
- Chamomile tea is herbs for sore throat that has anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and astringent properties that reduce swelling and redness. Drinking chamomile tea can help relieve a sore throat. It also stimulates the immune system and helps your body fight against the infection that causes sore throat.
- Peppermint is a herb for sore throat that contains menthol, which is the main ingredient of sore throat medication. Diluted peppermint oil relieves sore throat and cough. Peppermint has anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, and antiviral properties that help fight off bacteria and pathogens that enter the body through the mouth.
- Fenugreek is another natural remedy for sore throats. It can be consumed in the form of fenugreek seeds, topical oil, or fenugreek tea. Fenugreek kills bacteria that cause sore throat or inflammation and helps relieve pain.
- Licorice root is a herb for sore throat that can be mixed with water to create a solution for gargling to treat a sore throat. Consuming licorice powder helps in producing healthy mucus in the body that softens the throat pain. Licorice root is a sore throat remedy that has long been used to treat sore throats. Recent research shows that when mixed with water, it is effective in creating a solution to the gargle. However, pregnant and breastfeeding women should avoid this sore throat remedy.
- Ginger is a spicy herb used for cooking and healing ailments. It has anti-inflammatory properties that provide pain relief caused due to sore throat. Consuming ginger boosts immunity and helps fight infections that cause sore throat. Ginger tea has a spicy flavor that serves as a natural remedy for sore throat that flushes out toxins from the body and boosts your blood circulation.
Oil of oregano
- Oil of oregano is perhaps the most potent and concentrated of all of nature’s wonder foods for fighting bacteria and viruses and has a long history in Greek and other natural remedy systems. You can buy this in small containers, but don’t worry because a little bit goes a long way. This oil may even be externally applied to provide relief to the throat
Acupuncture for sore throat – ancient Chinese remedy for sore throat
The treatment principle of Acupuncture for sore throat is to notify yin and clear the heat with standard formulas such as Rehmannia Teapills. It might be necessary to take the formula for a few days for it to have a long-term effect.
The effects of acupuncture for sore throat are truly remarkable. Patients always seem to be more relaxed and emotionally calm after a treatment. Certain points have especially calming effects, making them effective in treating sore throat, flu, and cough. Acupuncture for sore throat is a natural treatment for a sore throat that has been proven to be effective and also causes no side effects.
Viral and bacterial infections, as well as irritants and injuries, cause the majority of sore throats. Most sore throats get better in a few days without treatment, while in most cases treatment is necessary.
Rest, warm liquids, saltwater gargles, and other natural Remedies for sore throat can help soothe the pain associated with a sore throat. However, see a doctor for more severe symptoms, like trouble breathing or swallowing, a high fever, or a stiff neck.
If your sore throat became turned into a chronic condition and happens a few times a year you need professional help for natural treatment of the sore throat. Contact our clinic (267) 284-3805 to schedule your appointment for a comprehensive holistic evaluation with Dr. Tsan.