Holistic gynecology means a combination of diagnostic prevention and treatment of women’s diseases using natural approaches. If you’re tired of conventional treatments, holistic OBGYN provides an alternative approach to women’s health. The difference between a holistic approach and a traditional one is that holistic gynecologists use only natural and herbal medicines, acupuncture treatments, and homeopathy that can be personalized to meet the patient’s exact requirements.
The holistic gynecology approach takes a slight turn from conventional gynecological methods. In this article, let us look at the holistic OBGYN method, its treatment, and how it differs from the conventional method.
Before we start on holistic OBGYN, let us first understand what ‘gynecology’ is. Gynecology is a type of medicine that deals explicitly with diseases and sicknesses particular to women, especially the problems affecting the reproductive system of females and other private body parts.
Holistic gynecology means a holistic outlook or approach to gynecological treatment and care, which means it utilizes the principles of holistic medicine.
Holistic medicine is based on the philosophy and approach of treating the whole body rather than just treating the disease. It considers healing the mind, body, and spirit by utilizing all kinds of healthcare, from traditional to conventional techniques.
It uses natural means and substances like herbs and vitamins to meet a woman’s gynecological needs. A holistic gynecologist considers an individual’s physical health, mental health, and lifestyle to deal with the illness.
Holistic Gynecology: What Can It Address?
A holistic gynecologist addresses and attends to several conditions that are highly related to the functioning of the female reproductive system, which include:
- Heavy menstrual bleeding
- Fibrocystic breast disease
- Menopause, as well as post-menopausal symptoms
- Urinary incontinence
- Sexual dysfunction
- Vulvodynia or vulvar pain
Here are some examples of other kinds of services included in the procedure of holistic gynecology.
- Evaluating the patient as a whole
- Assessing associated dysfunctions, the predisposition of chronic conditions, etc.
- Supportive interventions for abnormality in cervical changes
- Hormonal balancing for conditions like PCOS, menopause, or PMS
- Consulting on approaches of conventional treatment of chronic vulvar pain integration, thereby offering a more holistic opinion
Which alternative treatments does it support?
Apart from the use of conventional medicines and treatments, holistic gynecology supports an array of other traditional techniques, such as
Naturopathy: Naturopathic medicine uses natural remedies to aid the body in healing itself.
Acupuncture for women’s diseases
Acupuncture: This is another type of holistic treatment that uses the body’s energy to heal the body. It inserts very thin needles inside the body through specific healing points spread all over the body. The use of acupuncture is connected with treating gynecologic-related problems like hot flashes, premenstrual syndrome, and back pain during pregnancy, conception, etc.
Reiki: Reiki is a very common alternative form of body healing called energy healing.
Herbs for gynecological ailments
Herbal medicine: This ancient medical practice uses natural remedies from plants and herbs. Herbal medicines are found in many forms, such as teas, tablets, potions, etc. Here are some medicinal herbs used for treating gynecological-related problems.
- Turmeric root helps regulate menstrual flow.
- Chaste tree fruit is used to treat irregular menstruation and breast-related problems.
- Eleuthero root is used during menstruation to ease concentration difficulties and fatigue.
- Yarrow, this plant extract is used to treat pelvic cramps
Yoga improves women’s health
Yoga: a physical and mental practice that uses breathing techniques and meditation to relax and ease the mind and the physical body. There are many forms and types of yoga. Below are some yoga poses recommended for some gynecological issues.
- Trikonasana, or the triangle pose
- Chakrasana or the wheel pose
- Dhunrasana, or the bow pose
- Konasana, or the angle pose
- Shavasana, or the corpse pose
Diet for women is essential; diet is a part of holistic gynecology.
Nutritional counseling: Nutritional counseling assesses and analyzes health and body needs concerning food, diet, and exercise. Here are some food recommendations and tips to avoid common gynecological problems.
- Eat a high amount of fiber.
- Drink a considerable amount of water.
- Avoid foods with high-fat content.
- Avoid foods with sugary contents.
- Consuming vegetables like carrots, broccoli, tomatoes, etc., has been found to reduce one’s risk of obtaining ovarian cancer.
Homeopathy is highly effective for OBGYN problems.
Homeopathy is a holistic form of alternative medication that considers a patient’s physical, mental, and emotional symptoms and addresses the root of the problem. It has negligible side effects and can be prescribed for women of all ages.
During a woman’s teenage years, homeopathy can help regulate hormone production and hence treat associated puberty changes and skin conditions like acne. In her later years, homeopathy can also help treat fertility issues and ease pregnancy-related issues. Here are a few gynecological problems that can be treated with homeopathy.
How is holistic gynecology different?
While a gynecologist will provide all the procedures, like tests and exams, you are expected to receive a holistic gynecologist who will offer a few other additional techniques, such as:
- Suggesting acupuncture to alleviate your menstrual pain and cramping.
- Prescribe natural remedies to aid in regulating your menstrual cycle
- Advise yoga practice to help the body relax
- Lifestyle management includes nutrition, exercise, stress management, etc.
Holistic gynecology has also been favorably recommended during childbirth. Some of the methods employed may include:
- Reducing labor pain using imagery and visuals
- Use of anesthetics
- Increasing vaginal delivery ratio instead of using cesarean
- Massaging and other kinds of bodywork to aid in fast recovery from childbirth.
As holistic approaches to gynecological care include non-invasive and gentle treatments, they combine natural methods to soothe medical procedures and progress.
Is holistic better?
A holistic gynecologist often uses treatments like nutrition and botanical medicines to treat health problems. Conventional doctors are prone to using synthetic hormones and employing surgery while diagnosing and treating gynecological problems.
Considering that this approach takes account of not just the individual’s disease but the estimation of the entire body and provides safer alternative treatments, holistic gynecology can easily be considered a very reliable source for treating problems affecting women.
5 Ways To Maintain Good Gynecological Health
Poor gynecology health often triggers many health issues. It can intervene in your sexual life and increase your chances of developing serious illnesses like cancer.
Since holistic gynecology heavily depends on the natural methods and techniques of treating problems, here are some tips and advice on maintaining and looking after one’s gynecological health with a more realistic outlook.
- Frequent gynecological checkups: Regular visits to the gynecologist can help lower the risk and chances of cervical cancer by detecting cell abnormalities early.
- The practice of safe sex: Engaging in unsafe sexual activities can lead to acquiring various diseases that destroy or lower your body’s natural defense system. This increases the chances of being susceptible to diseases like HPV, which increases the chances of cervical cancer. Gonorrhea is another example that can cause problems like pelvic inflammatory disease.
- Exercise: Developing a habit of regular exercise will help in maintaining a strong pelvic floor. A weak pelvic floor often results in problems related to the bladder, like loss of urine and sexual problems.
- Food, diet, and body weight: menstrual cycles highly depend on one’s weight. Without a proper, healthy body weight, an individual might start experiencing problems like excessive or irregular flow or no period. Consuming foods with high fiber content and drinking water helps avoid constipation and reduce period pain.
- Proper care for the vulva and vagina: Avoiding harsh vaginal cleaning products can help reduce vaginal infections and pain. Light, airy innerwear is also recommended. One can also limit or altogether stop the use of products like pantyliners, as they prevent moisture from building against your body.
Why Should You Consider Holistic Gynecology?
The holistic approach is an excellent way of maintaining a part of your body and looking after your entire body. Holistic gynecology offers an excellent way for individuals to increase the defenses of the female reproductive system and protect it instead of taking care of symptoms.
Holistic gynecology is deemed appropriate, particularly for women keen on exploring natural and safe ways of maintaining overall wellness and attending to various body discomforts.
Holistic Gynecology in Philadelphia
Over the decade, gynecologists, in general, have grown increasingly, and the field has now significantly expanded. The holistic approach, or holistic gynecology, has been positively received and regularly consulted.
If you or someone you know is looking for a more natural approach with minimal synthetic drug use to heal your reproductive functions, the holistic approach might just be what you need or require. If you opt for a holistic gynecologist, read their credentials and related reviews before booking an appointment.
We work with traditional OBGYN offices at the Philadelphia Holistic Clinic to help women get safe and effective holistic gynecology treatment.