Herbal medicine is also known as herbalism or botanical medicine and this term is defined as a medical system that is based on the use of plants or plant extracts that can be applied or taken for different health benefits. Different cultures all around the world have adopted herbal medicine to treat various diseases and have also been used to support bodily functions. However, with the rampant recognition of herbal medicine, it is still not yet well recognized professionally in the United States.
The medical professional that treats using herbal medicines referred to as herbalist.
The traditional herbal medicines are known as substances of natural origin with zero industrial treatment have been used for years dated back to treat the disease through local or regional healing practices. Traditional herbal medicines have been able to attract attention in global health debates in recent years. Take a country like China, for instance, traditional herbal medicine has played a leading role that has helped in controlling and treating severe acute respiratory syndrome that is known as (SARS). Also, note that about eighty percent of the African population is known as users of traditional herbal medicine and the annual global market for these products has high return rates.
Herbal medicine has supposed lots of myths, a scenario never seen before in many cultures has lots of people all around the world have embraced and adopted herbalism. People now adapt the use of herbs and spices in food in other to prevent food diseases because these spices have healing properties. Take for instance the spice turmeric in curry dishes are now being used by most people in dishes because it has shown to be one of the reasons why older people in China and India have one of the lowest rates of Alzheimer’s across the world.
Some of the positive effects of herbal medicine and how it is being used?
There are a lot of herbal medicines, but listed below are list and effect on humans:
- Aloe Vera has many benefits, it is used to relieve minor burns, sunburn, irritation or inflammation of the skin when applied.
- Arnica is used on-site against bruises, sprains, sore muscles and joints
- Chamomile tea for indigestion, heartburn, indigestion, and colic
- Comfrey, only in a topical pack, against pressure ulcers, diabetic ulcers, certain spider bites and staphylococcal infections on tropical beaches
- Dong Quai for women and ginseng for men and women, taken to improve overall health and endurance, are tonics in this application.
- Echinacea for colds, flu, and sore throat
- Intake of garlic may lower cholesterol and blood pressure, treat yeast infections and colds
- Ginger has taken for nausea and motion sickness and as an anti-inflammatory
- Molene ingested in case of chest constipation and dry bronchial cough
- Passionflower took for non-soothing relaxation
- Mint tea for indigestion, nausea and other digestive problems
- Peppermint oil (gastro-resistant capsules), which is taken in irritable bowel syndrome and other chronic intestinal diseases
- Tea tree oil is used topically for fungal infections such as athlete’s foot and fungal infections of the toenails and toenails
- Turmeric is taken to fight inflammation and protect against cancer and Alzheimer’s
- Valerian is taken for sleep disorders.
Chinese herbal medicine
Chinese herbal medicine is known to be part of an entire medical system. The system is called Traditional Chinese Medicine which is known in short form as (TCM) and it is aimed to restore the balance of qi in the body. The different qualities of qi are Yin and Yang. The traditional Chinese medicine believes that disease mainly occurs due to a disturbance in the balance between yin and yang.
Traditional Chinese medicine includes the following:
- Therapeutic massage to help heal the pain
- Herbal Remedies for health-related diseases
- The traditional breathing and movement exercises called Qi Gong (pronounced Chee Goong) for meditation and body balance
- Movement exercises called tai chi (pronounced tie chee) for body balance
Why people with cancer use herbal medicine
In recent years it was discovered that Herbal medicine can be used by cancer patients to help relieve the pain and also cure certain cancers. Some studies have shown that up to 6 in 10 cancer patients (60%) use herbal medicines. Research shows that different generations have used herbs for centuries to treat different health conditions and it has yielded positive results. The major belief is that traditional medicine is a natural plant medicine that can help in relaxation and deal with anxiety and depression and also help with other conditions, such as the following:
- It is ideal to treat fever
- It helps to reduce Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- It helps reduce menstrual cramps (periods)
- Help in Eczema cure
A new study shows that people with cancer who use herbal remedies feel more relieved with herbal treatment.
There a lot of people who claim to be an herbalist. So be sure to find someone with a comprehensive education. The Practitioners of traditional Chinese medicine rely only on herbs for treatment. If you are in the United States and in need of an herbalist of traditional herbal doctor you can find a competent practitioner through the American Herbalist Guild. Note that professional herbal professionals who advise clients on the use of herbal remedies are not allowed to either diagnose or treat disease, they can only recommend herbal medicine to prospective patients. Herbal medicine is also known as the pillar of naturopathic doctors that use natural approaches to promote well-being and treat diseases. Also, note that some doctors learn herbs and other natural remedies, but herbal medicine is normally not included in their formal training.
Herbal medicines have been upgraded now and come in form of extracts, capsules, and tablets, and now in form of teas, and they are recommended by many health professionals in different disciplines to treat a variety of diseases.
Looking for an herbalist near me?
Philadelphia Holistic Clinic is the home for all kinds of natural treatment including acupuncture, homeopathic medicine, herbalism, reiki, hypnosis, etc. If you want to be treated with herbal medicines contact our clinic (267) 403-3085 to book an appointment with Dr. Tsan for a complete evaluation.