Treatment for a cold sore
Treatment for a cold sore is one of the most popular search criteria on Google during the fall and wintertime.
Cold sores are an uncomfortable medical condition caused by the herpes simplex virus. Although it remains in the body all the time, most of the time in a dormant state, there are steps we can take to prevent the lesions from recurring. Pharmaceutical companies have several over-the-counter and prescription drugs available to treat symptoms. However, there are natural treatments for cold sores that can prevent their recurrence by helping to strengthen the immune system.
Many people prefer a natural treatment for cold sores because some drugs can be expensive and having cold sores on your face can be embarrassing. They appear on the face, usually just around the mouth. During a conversation, people watch visible parts of your face and moving lips and it just can’t be hidden. However, there are a lot of home remedies for a cold sore on lip that is effective and safe.
There are a plethora of natural treatments for cold sore that you can try. People who have the HSV-1 virus (herpes) regularly should seriously think about natural remedies for cold sores that have been proven to be effective in treating these painful sores.
The best treatment for cold sores is a combination of natural remedies, homeopathic medicines, acupuncture, and herbs. First of all, natural treatments for cold sores are very inexpensive. Eating foods that are low in arginine and high in lysine is a great way to prevent an outbreak and keep the herpes virus inactive. Your best option is to prevent an outbreak from occurring in the first place. You can do this by eating the right foods and getting enough rest to ensure that your immune system is working at its peak.
As you can see, natural treatment for cold sores is the best treatment for cold sores because it is safe and effective. Natural treatment for cold sores assumes no use of antibiotics and/or steroids. That’s why different forms of natural remedies for cold sores are worth to try if you are suffering from these pesky breakouts. It is of course very important that you consult your doctor to determine which natural treatment for cold sores might be right for you. Often, you will want to combine multiple treatment options for the best results.
However, for any natural treatment for a cold sore to be effective, you must eat healthily and be in good physical condition. Stay within your calorie range and eat foods high in protein and lysine. Chicken, beans, and fish are healthy choices that can be inexpensive and easy to eat. Remember, the most effective cold sore treatment is to have a healthy lifestyle and a stress-free body and soul.
What you need to know about herpes.
Cold sores usually stay there for 9 to 12 days, progressing through the various stages of a bladder’s life cycle. During this time there is pain and swelling, it gets bigger, and eventually, it dries out. When the cold sore dries out, it can leave a dark stain for a while, and it’s tempting to scratch the itchy skin, which isn’t good for healing. Be gentle with the area.
A strong immune system is key to preventing epidemics. When your immune system is strong, it makes antibodies against the herpes virus and lets it dormant. Stay away from triggers like junk food and alcohol and make sure you have at least 1 hour of strenuous activity per day with lots of sleep. When you’re not in good shape, your immune system weakens, making you more prone to cold sore breakouts. Avoid fatty and processed foods, as well as foods high in sugar. They don’t do anything for you, they turn into fat. Stress is a big trigger for breakouts, it weakens the immune system and allows the virus to thrive. Try to use stress-relieving techniques like avoiding procrastination and learning to let go by relaxing with deep breaths when you are feeling stressed.
Symptoms of a cold sore
You may notice a stinging or burning sensation on your lips or face a few days before a cold sore appears. This is the best time to start treatment. Once the sore forms, you’ll see a raised red blister full of fluid. It will usually be painful and tender to the touch. There can be more than one wound.
The cold sores persist for up to two weeks and are contagious until a scab form. Your first cold sores may not appear until 20 days after contracting the herpes simplex virus.
One or more of the following symptoms may also occur during an outbreak:
- Swollen lymph nodes
You should call your doctor right away if you develop eye symptoms during a cold sore outbreak. Infections caused by the herpes simplex virus can lead to permanent vision loss if not treated quickly.
The causes of herpes
Cold sores are caused by the herpes simplex virus. There are two types of herpes simplex virus. Herpes simplex virus type 1 (HSV-1) usually causes cold sores, and herpes simplex virus type 2 (HSV-2) usually causes genital herpes.
The actual wounds look similar to the two forms of the virus. It is also possible that HSV-1 causes sores on the genitals and HSV-2 causes sores on the mouth.
Visible cold sores are contagious, but they can spread even if they’re not visible. They can stop the herpes simplex virus from coming into contact with infected people. This can happen while kissing, sharing cosmetics, or sharing food. Oral sex can spread both cold sores and genital herpes.
Some of the best natural treatments for cold sores
Feeling the tingling sensation of a fever blister near or on your lip is never a pleasant experience. Cold sores are not only uncomfortable, they are also unsightly. There is no effective way to cover them and you will be instantly embarrassed if you have to venture out of the house with a cold sore insight. A visit to the doctor for treatment is one approach, but there is another. If you are interested in natural remedies for cold sore, there are a few options available to you that will produce impressive results.
Listed below are natural treatments for cold sores
Home remedies for cold sores on lip
Home remedies for cold sores on lip are one of the natural remedies for cold sores. Home remedies for cold sores will speed up the healing process. It’s important to note that the effectiveness of home remedies for cold sores will vary from person to person.
Here are the home remedies for cold sores in lips
- The antiviral properties of lemon balm, also known as Melissa officinalis, are one of the natural remedies for a cold sore in lip that can help reduce the redness and swelling associated with a blister or protect against future blisters.
- Sunscreens are one of the home remedies for cold sores that protect you from exposure to the sun and can potentially bring cold sores to the surface. Therefore, wearing sunscreen on and around your lips can go a long way in preventing cold sores. To ensure adequate protection, choose a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30. To avoid further aggravation, wear sunscreen around your mouth and for cold sores when a lesion is healing.
- Vitamin E is a home remedy for cold sores that contains an antioxidant known for its ability to repair damaged skin cells and promote new growth. This means that vitamin E is a natural remedy for a cold sore that can help heal and relieve your cold sores. Vitamin E can be used topically to treat existing cold sores or in nuts, seeds, and leafy green vegetables to prevent them.
- Lysine is a natural remedy for cold sores that helps activate essential parts of the immune system such as T cells, which can limit the occurrence of cold sores. A study of 30 participants published in Alternative Medicine Review in 2005 found that applying lysine ointment daily healed cold sores in 40% of people by day three and 87% of people by day six.
Homeopathic remedies for cold sores – #1 natural treatment for a cold sore
Dealing with cold sores is no walk in the park. The pain and discomfort they cause are enough to make anyone find a definitive way out of the problem. Add to this the social problems and embarrassment usually associated with an illness that causes such noticeable outbreaks and you have a blow that knocks many of us down for a while.
Fortunately, there are ways to treat cold sores, and one of the best natural remedies for cold sores is homeopathic remedies for cold sores. Homeopathic remedies for cold sore don’t have the side effects that most medicated creams and pills have. Homeopathy for cold sores is very safe and can be very effective against the virus
Here are some of the best homeopathic remedies for cold sores:
- This homeopathic remedy for cold sore soothes puffy, itchy, burning skin or lips that are relieved by cold applications.
- Arsenicum album is one of the homeopathic remedies for cold sores accompanied by burning pain that is relieved by the application of heat, which suggests that this remedy is needed. The person may feel anxious, restless, cold, and exhausted.
- This homeopathic remedy for cold sores can help with herpes rashes in any area, as well as with tense inflammation. Sensitivity to noise and fear of falling are further indications for borax.
- Graphite is one of the best natural treatments for cold sores and one of the most usable homeopathic remedies for cold sores with oozing honey-like discharge and crusts and cracks in the skin. This suggests the need for this remedy. The person may have many skin problems, be fat, and have trouble concentrating.
- Hepar Sulphuris Calcareum is a homeopathic remedy for cold sores with cold sores that are very sensitive to the touch and worse, any form of cold suggests the need for this medicine. A person in need of Hepar Sulfphuris is extremely sensitive to cold and often has low resistance to infection.
- This homeopathic remedy for cold sores may be indicated for painful and infected rashes, especially if the person has swollen lymph nodes, offensive breath, is extremely sensitive to temperature, and is prone to sweating at night.
- This homeopathic remedy for cold sores soothes thick, whitish crusts with a yellowish secretion that oozes under the crusts.
- This homeopathic remedy for cold sores can be helpful for genital herpes that spreads to the anal area and thighs. People in need of this remedy tend to have many skin problems, with rough, dry skin that is cracked and bleeding.
- Emuaid®is an innovative, scientifically-based, contemporary homeopathic topical cream developed with influential natural components and rare growth factor stimulators that work along to calm the rash, tranquil tenderness, redness, and swelling, and deliver symptomatic relief for resilient skin ailments.
Herbs for cold sores
Herbs for cold sore prevention can include different categories of medicinal plants, which are listed below:
- Adaptogen herbs are one of the herbs for cold sore herbs that can help improve our body’s response to stress, and when combined with the lifestyle suggestions listed above in the Causes of Cold Sores section, can be a powerful way to make our lives more balanced. Having a stronger nervous system and general health are the best ways to prevent cold sores.
- These herbs for cold sore support your immune system and make your body less susceptible to the herpes simplex virus 1.
- The tannins in black tea are Herbs for cold sores that help speed up the recovery of the skin on the lips from ulcers caused by herpes.
What not to do to make natural treatment for a cold sore effective
When you have cold sores, they are very tempting to touch. Try to resist the temptation to do these things that can stunt the healing process:
Touch an open wound.
Any time you touch the open blister and don’t wash your hands immediately afterward, you run the risk of passing the virus from your hands to someone else. You can also get bacteria from your hands into the wound when you bite or stab them.
Try to burst the wound.
Cold sores are not sores. If you squeeze it or try to pop it, it won’t collapse. You can just squeeze viral liquid onto your skin. You can accidentally pass the virus on to someone else.
Have oral sex.
If you still have a blister, it is best to avoid close contact with your partner involving your mouth. Wait for it to go away before resuming sexual activity.
Eat acidic foods.
Highly acidic foods like citrus fruits and tomatoes can cause a stinging sensation if they come into contact with cold sores. You might want to avoid them and go for milder prices for a few days.
The best treatment for a cold sore is definitely natural. The use of natural remedies for cold sores is effective, safe, and affordable. Well-known home remedies for cold sores are widely used all over the world. In the majority of cases there are no needs for antibiotics, steroids, and other pharmaceutical drugs, however, you have to consult with an integrative medicine physician to discuss which natural remedy for cold sore is the best for you. Don’t forget that even if you don’t have skin irritation, the herpes virus continues to live in your body and may wake up and punish you at any time.