Treatment for strep throat
Treatment for strep throat usually successful. Antibiotics are the most common treatment for strep throat. Antibiotics will quickly reduce symptoms, and reduce the chances of complications. Penicillin and its synthetic analogs are usually given as the cure for strep throat, but since a lot of people are allergic to Penicillin, the doctor may prescribe Erythromycin instead. Other antibiotics that are effective include amoxicillin, and cephalosporin. Although strep throat symptoms may subside within 4 days even without treatment, it is very important to be treated by a doctor and to complete the full course of antibiotics to prevent severe complications such as heart or kidney troubles. Amoxicillin should be avoided as a treatment of a sore throat if bacterial (swab) confirmation has not been obtained as it causes a distinctive rash should the true illness prove to be Glandular Fever instead of Strep Throat. In most cases, a standard dose of penicillin, taken for 10 days, will cure the strep throat infection without any problems. Relief from the sore throat should come within 24 to 48 hours after you start taking antibiotics. Doctors recommend throat sprays and lozenges to help ease the throat pain until the antibiotics start helping.
Preventing Strep Throat: Strep Throat is very contagious, so the best line of prevention is to stay away from those that have it. Wash all drinking and eating utensils in very hot soapy water. If caring for an infected person, the caregiver should wash hands often after contact. Another way to help prevent strep throat is to try to reduce your stress, get plenty of rest, and other things that help keep the body’s defenses strong. It is important to know for how long is strep throat contagious because this is the answer on when you can contact the sick person.
However, there is strep throat treatment without antibiotics. This type of strep throat treatment without antibiotics is known as a natural treatment for strep throat, natural treatment for strep throat does not cause allergy and are effective in the treatment of strep throat.
Strep throat is an inflammation and swelling of the throat, tonsils, and lymph nodes. Unlike sore throat, which is caused by infection with viruses, strep throat is caused by infection with bacteria. While most sore throats generate mild symptoms and clear naturally, without the aid of medical treatments, strep throat generally requires a course of antibiotics. Untreated strep throat can lead to serious complications such as otitis, heart problems, renal problems, and even rheumatic fever. On the premises of a weak immune system, strep throat can be very severe, in which case doctors recommend prompt medical treatment with antibiotics.
What is strep throat?
The cause of strep throat is a bacterial infection in the throat that results from a bacterium called streptococcus (Group A) that makes the throat irritate. It causes pain in the throat, high fever, sometimes a rash, and it can lead to more serious problems if nothing is done to treat it.
Lots of people believe that strep throat only affects children. This idea is unfunded, as strep throat can be acquired by anyone, regardless of age. Although strep throat has the highest incidence in very young children and teenagers, it can also occur in adults. Strep throat is more likely to generate complications when it is acquired by adults. Adults who suffer from strep throat usually have more intense symptoms and need a longer period of recovery from illness. When it occurs in the elderly, strep throat is more difficult to overcome and the infection with streptococcus bacteria is very likely to become systemic.
The illness is diagnosed by doctors based on the symptoms that the patient presents and after processing a sample of strep culture taken from the throat with the help of a cotton swab. If the result is streptococcus the treatment must begin soon because the viral infection must be eliminated before it spreads.
What Strep Throat Isn’t
It’s easy to confuse it with other conditions, so it helps to know what it’s not:
- It’s not a virus — viruses can’t be cured with antibiotics.
- It usually doesn’t come with a runny nose, a cough, or red eyes. These are usually signs of a virus or allergy.
- It’s not life-threatening. But if you leave it untreated, strep throat can lead to more serious complications in some cases.
What causes strep throat?
Strep throat is caused by bacteria called Streptococcus Pyogenes or group A Streptococcus (also known as group A strep, or GAS). You can become infected with strep throat if you touch your eyes, nose, or mouth after being exposed to these bacteria.
Along with coughing and sneezing, strep throat can be spread when you share food or a drink with someone infected.
You can also get strep throat by coming into contact with an object contaminated with group A strep bacteria, such as a doorknob or faucet, and then touching your eyes, nose, or mouth.
Symptoms of strep throat
One very common strep throat symptom is a sore throat. Despite this, not all strep throat infections lead to a sore throat. The sore throat experienced is not accompanied by sneezing, coughing, or any other cold-related symptoms.
Symptoms of strep throat in toddlers
For the few toddlers who develop strep throat, signs and symptoms may include:
- Refusal to breast-feed or drink from a bottle
- Swollen glands in the neck
- Red throat or tonsils
- Occasionally, a fine, red rash on the torso, arms, and legs
Symptoms of strep throat in children
Strep throat is more common in children than adults, and it’s most common in children who are 5-15 years old. If your child has strep throat, they might also have symptoms like:
- Stomach pain
Symptoms of strep throat in adult
- Body aches
- Loss of appetite
- Swollen lymph nodes on your neck
- Little red spots on the back part of the roof of your mouth
- Red and swollen tonsils (two round lumps in the back of your throat — you may also see white patches on them or elsewhere in your throat)
- Trouble swallowing
- Pain in your throat
Strep Throat Transmission
The common question is strep throat contagious? Note that the bacteria that cause strep are highly contagious. You can spread it by close contact including sneezes and handshakes or sharing someone else’s items.
Be sure to wash your hands often and be cautious about touching objects when someone in your house has strep.
Strep throat prevention
There is no vaccine available that prevents strep throat. One of the most effective ways to help avoid infection is by regularly washing your hands. If you can’t access soap and water, you can use a hand sanitizer instead.
Don’t share drinks or food with someone who has strep throat. If someone in your home has strep throat, don’t share their towels, sheets, or pillowcases. Wash dishes and laundry in water that’s hot and soapy.
If you have strep throat, sneeze or cough into the crook of your elbow or a tissue rather than into your hand. Be sure to wash your hands frequently. Explore more ways to prevent strep throat.
Natural treatment for strep throat
Natural treatment for strep throat is an effective treatment used to reduce the symptoms of strep throat without any side effects. Listed below are natural remedies for strep throat
Home remedies for strep throat – most common natural treatment for strep throat
There are home remedies for strep throat that can ease each of these symptoms. Home remedies for strep throat that can act as antibiotics are garlic, honey, olive leaf extract, and tea tree oil. Such home remedies for strep throat can help in fighting infection and inflammation. Listed below are the list of the most common treatment for strep throat at home
- Gargling with warm salt water can help soothe a sore throat and break down secretions. It’s also known to help kill bacteria in the throat. Make a saltwater solution with a half-teaspoon of salt in a full glass of warm water. Gargle it to help reduce swelling and keep the throat clean. This should be done every three hours or so.
- Peppermint is known for its ability to freshen breath. Diluted peppermint oil sprays may also relieve sore throats. Peppermint contains menthol, which helps thin mucus and calm sore throats and coughs. Peppermint also has anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, and antiviral properties, which may encourage healing.
Baking soda gargle
- While the saltwater gargle is more commonly used, gargling baking soda mixed with salt water can help relieve strep throat as well. Gargling this solution can kill bacteria and prevent the growth of yeast and fungi.
Herbs for strep throat – effective home-based natural treatment for strep throat
Herbs for strep throat is one of the treatments used to cure strep throat, it is an effective natural remedy for strep throat.
Listed below are herbs for strep throat:
- This herb has analgesic properties so it can help abate the other symptoms of this condition. It also boosts the functions of the immune system. Moreover, Ginseng enhances the health and vitality of your body so you can recover easily.
- Rosemary also has effective antiviral properties so it can speed up the healing process of your body. It can lessen the duration of the attack of this condition. Try adding rosemary to your food. Use this to enhance the taste of food.
- This herb is also a great remedy for this illness. It has anti-inflammatory properties so it can abate inflamed tonsils. Sage can help reduce pains in your throat. You can try adding sage to your diet. Make a salad and add this herb.
- This wonderful herb can lower high fever caused by the strep throat virus. Chamomile can also prevent dehydration when you are ill. Try drinking a cup or two of chamomile tea daily until your condition gets better. It also helps alleviate throat pains and headaches.
Licorice and Marshmallow:
- Both Licorice and Marshmallow can help coat your throat, which soothes the pain. The root is a useful part of both plants. Prepared licorice, in the form of DGL tablets, maybe the best choice if you are diabetic, as this root has a lot of sugar in it. Don’t use licorice at all if you have high blood pressure, as it can cause it to spike.
You can try using these simple herbal remedies for strep throat if you want to alleviate the symptoms of your condition. Speeding up your recovery is important. Choose those herbal remedies that have antiseptic, antibacterial and analgesic properties for faster recovery.
Homeopathy for strep throat – #1 natural treatment for strep throat
Homeopathy medicines can very effectively manage strep throat infection. Homeopathy for strep throat is selected based on individual symptoms. Some top-rated medicines for strep throat in the Homeopathy mode of treatment are Belladonna, Streptococcinum, Merc Sol, Hepar Sulphur, and Phytolacca.
These medicines boost the immune system of the body to fight bacterial infection and affect complete recovery. Homeopathy is a wonderful science that treats diseases with natural and safe medicines. In the case of strep throat, Homeopathy medicines are very competent in treating this kind of infection.
Why Use Homeopathy for strep throat?
- In most cases, antibiotics are not necessary to treat a strep throat or strep related illness. Antibiotics will always kill beneficial bacteria along with the pathogens and disrupt the immune system!
- Studies have shown that when antibiotics are given for strep throat, the infection tends to recur more often than when they are not prescribed.
- Many antibiotics also tend to create resistant strains of bacteria and do not work effectively when they are needed.
Listed below are homeopathic remedies for strep throat
- Streptococcinum is one of the most reliable and effective homeopathic remedies for strep throat This homeopathic remedy for strep throat is recommended in acute as well as chronic strep throat infections. This medicine is capable of breaking the chain of recurrent strep throat infection by strengthening the immune system of susceptible persons.
- Belladonna is one of the top-rated homeopathic remedies for strep throat. It is mainly prescribed in very advanced stages of strep throat infection. The symptoms indicating the use of this homeopathic remedy for strep throat are highly inflamed swollen, enlarged tonsils.
- In cases where the throat is very sore and raw, and pain from the throat extends to the ear, Merc Sol is the most useful homeopathic remedy for strep throat.
Hepar Sulphur is another effective homeopathic remedy for strep throat. It is similar to Mercurius in the severity of the infection. Discharge has developed and the throat and tonsils are severely swollen. Often the person says that he feels something stuck in his throat like a splinter. The patient is irritable and easily angry. Cold is a predominant symptom and both the general condition and the sore throat are greatly aggravated by exposure to the cold. Hot drinks and heat in general soothe a sore throat. The pain can extend to the ears.
Natural treatment for strep throat beyond home care
Get immediate medical attention:
if there is a severe sore throat and great difficulty swallowing, or if there is a lot of drooling or difficulty breathing.
Get medical attention today:
- if there is swelling in the area around the tonsils to the point of swelling or pushing the uvula to one side;
- if a sore throat is accompanied by fever and a red rash that looks like sandpaper;
- if a child has a severe sore throat, or a sore throat and fever, for more than a day or two. Adults can safely wait a few more days;
- if there is white, silver, or yellow to green cover on the tonsils and/or throat
The itching, burning pain from a sore throat can make life miserable. From a sip of water to an answering machine, everyday tasks are suddenly painful challenges.
While it is common to think that you may have a sore throat, the only way to diagnose the bacterial infection is through a throat swab.
If you test positive for Strep, it’s important to take all prescribed medications, including antibiotics, as this can lead to serious health complications such as rheumatic fever or heart murmurs.
Usually, it only takes a day or two after you start antibiotics to feel better. In the meantime, however, there are a few things you can do to relieve symptoms, including some quick and easy home remedies for strep throat.
Natural treatment for strep throat is one of the options that can be used, as long as it is recommended by a physician.
At the Philadelphia Holistic Center, Dr. Tsan leads the team of licensed medical professionals and all holistic treatments at the clinic reside under one roof. As soon as you evaluated by Dr. Tsan you can expect a customized treatment plan for the natural treatment for strep throat.
To schedule your appointment for evaluation and treatment contact our clinic (267) 284-3085 or use our online scheduling application.